2010-06-23

讓我一次愛個夠作品說明介紹(英文)/The introduction of the work “Make me High and More" (in English)






讓我一次愛個夠作品說明介紹(英文)/
The introduction of the work “Make me High and More" (in English)

感謝小虹的翻譯!!
Thanks for the translation by xiao hung~

I arrange a white, rectangle wooden box in the exhibition hall. The wooden box is divided into two sections, one is covered by the curtain, and the other part is a semi-opened condition. The vibrator is put in between two sections- the switch is arranged in the semi-opened side ; the electric wire goes through the curtain and the vibrator is situated in the side covered by the curtain . I stay behind the curtain and put the vibrator on my clitoris. Participants / audiences are allowed to enter into the opposite section(without being covered) , turn on the switch, and control frequency or intensity of the vibrator. Sometimes I make some noise when I am turned on in the process. (As the picture and the video upper show) During the performance, mostly I stayed in the box so that participants cannot see me. Even the participants enter into the semi-opened space, controlling the switch and its speed, they still could not see me.

During the days of hiding in the box, I have experienced that what it exactly means by ‘Sex as a labor work’, sex work could never be a simple way to make money. It requires not only physical vigor, but also the capability to comfort the clients. For those participants / audiences, they need to enter into a strange setting which mingles with deeply private and intimate relation. Thus, all the solidities at that moment are blurred and melted into ambiguous situation regardless of sense organs or the cognition of ‘normal relations’. This experiment provides an invisible barrier about testing the boundary of ‘sexuality’ and opportunity to taste the temporal ‘abnormal relation’. However, the effects which have generated from the temporal experiment do not disappear as the experiments are gone; Even though all the daily routine is reinstated, the remaining dynamics are still stirring in the once created relations. In other words, the instantly created ‘intimate’ milieu at the beginning later turns into the anxiety which is largely mixed with intimacy. However, it also reopens the possibilities of rethinking/ rebuilding relationships.

…This work reflects a condition of human beings, though we could not find the solution but it is the precise reality. It is the ultimately helpless and minimum demand/desire to intimacy, which precisely captures the feeling and status of the original relations between ‘sex worker and the client’.

(Excerpted from Chen,Chia-Chi, ‘Your theory could not solve my sexual desire: Li-huei Huang and COSWAS’,‘Art Today’, no.178, 2007.7, p.138.)

The art work has created an undifferentiated gender experiment. It not only engages with the topic of ‘intimacy’, but also explores the dynamics of loves and desires.

Standing between art design and social movement, it is a loop for me to connect both from personal level to the society, and also to mirror politics of the society on my body. For me, COSWAS is a space which provides diverse cultural actions to voice out the political belief and context in regard to sex workers’ movement.

To those social movement advocacy groups who need to convey information to the public, it is always seemly more effective to utilize forms such as music, photography, drama and documentary other than the modern art with devices or behavior art formats. However, I think modern art could be an alternative stimulus for participants in various walks of life to approach difficult social issues.


The serial exhibitions of "Make me High and More":

2007/Apr. 9th-14th
The first exhibition/performance of serial work “Make me high and more”, the air-raid shelter gallery of NTUE.


2007/Jun. 10th
The Demo of “Make me high and more” for COSWAS' workers and volunteers, the ex-brothel "Wen Meng Building".


2007/Oct.
The second exhibition/performance of serial work “Make me high and more”, the lobby in the office building of Documentary Media Worker Union.


2008/Jan.
The third exhibition/performance of serial work “Make me high and more”, Guling Street Avant-garde Theatre.


2008/Sep.
The document of work“Make me high and more”, was invited to participate in co-exhibition “Local Viewpoint Made in Taiwan”, Bamboo Curtain Studio.


2008/Dec.
“Make me high and more”was selected by 2008 Taipei Art Award, and exhibited in Taipei Fine Arts Museum from 2008/12/30 to 2009/3/8.

沒有留言:

張貼留言